sábado, noviembre 14

In the mood for love

"Do you think you weren't loved enough?"
She tilted her head and looked at me. Then she gave a sharp, little nod.
"Somewhere between 'not enough' and 'not at all'. I was always hungry for love. Just once, I wanted to know what it was like to get my fill of it -to be fed so much love I couldn't take any more. Just once. But they never gave that to me. Never, not once. If I tried to cuddle up and beg for something they'd just shove me away and yell at me. 'No! That costs too much!' It's all I ever heard. So I made up my mind I was going to find someone who would love me unconditionally three hundred and sixty-five days a year. I was still in elementary school at the time -fifth or sixth grade- but I made up my mind once and for all."
"Wow," I said. "And did your search pay off?"
"That's the hard part," said Midori. She watched the rising smoke for a while, thinking. "I guess I've been waiting so long I'm looking for perfection. That makes it tough."
"Waiting for the perfect love?"
"No, even I know better than that. I'm looking for selfishness. Perfect selfishness. Like, say I tell you I want to eat strawberry shortcake. And you stop everything you're doing and run out and buy it for me. And you come back out of breath and get down on your knees and hold this strawberry shortcake out to me. And I say I don't want it anymore and throw it out the window. That's what I'm looking for."
"I'm not sure that has anything to do with love," I said with some amazement.
"It does," she said. "You just don't know it. There are times in a girl's life when things like that are incredibly important."
"Things like throwing strawberry shortcake out the window?"
"Exactly. And when I do it, I want the man to apologize to me. 'Now I see, Midori. What a fool I've been! I should have known that you would lose your desire for strawberry shortcake. I have all the intelligence and sensitivity of a piece of donkey shit. To make it up to you, I'll go out and buy you something else. What would you like? Chocolate mousse? Cheesecake?'"
"So then what?"
"So then I'd give him all the love he deserves for what he's done."
"Sounds crazy to me."
"Well, to me, that's what love is. Not that anyone can understand me, though." Midori gave her head a little shake against my shoulder. "For a certain kind of person, love begins from something tiny or silly. From something like that or it doesn't begin at all."
-Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood (chapter four)


Llegué hace un rato del cine, Coco avant Chanel, muy buena película, tan buena que por primera vez en años uno puede ver a Audrey Tautou sin ver en ella a Amélie. Creo que me gustan los extremos y esas historias de mujeres en los extremos: las pelis de amor con bodas y las de mujeres que pierden el amor de su vida y quedan solteras por el resto de sus días, como ésta que acabo de ver hoy. A veces pienso que voy a quedar en la segunda categoría, que soy de las personas que no pueden vivir en compañía, pero eso sólo el tiempo lo dirá, supongo.
Terminé de leer a Murakami en tres noches, mis ojeras no son de trabajo, sino de insomnio improductivo pero que al menos se dejó acompañar por Norwegian Wood. Me llevó casi un año darme cuenta que cuando Isami me habló de Murakami y su libro más popular internacionalmente me dijo el título de su versión en español y Tokyo Blues no tiene nada que ver con Norwegian Wood. El otro gran enigma con respecto al título es que no hace mucho leí algo donde mencionaban también una historia relacionada con esa canción de los Beatles, pero no recuerdo qué historia, ni por quién ni en dónde y no poder recordar me exaspera tremendamente, sobre todo porque ésta creo es una coincidencia que no alcanzo a deshebrar. Como sea, el libro me gustó mucho; aunque tampoco creo que sea algo extraordinario. Después de haber leído El guardián entre el centeno, The Bell Jar, Demian o Estación Espacial MIR, creo que podría haber prescindido de esta novela; pero eso significaría también que soy muy corta de miras. Lo que quiero decir es que historias de jóvenes formándose ante la vida y la muerte hay mejores; y aún así Murakami tiene una gran maestría en llevarte de la mano sin soltarte y sin quererlo soltar hasta que termines el viaje con él. Es una linda historia, con una gran carga erótica que no por directa deja de ser suave, sensual y elegante, y creo que eso fue lo que más me fascinó del libro. Mi personaje favorito fue Midori, me gusta el nombre y me gusta que signifique verde (esto habré de corroborarlo) y Toru, Toru tiene tantos matices que en varias partes de la historia me hizo recordar a personas de hace muchos ayeres y alguna que otra faceta de mí misma.
Y bueno, Norwegian Wood es una historia de amor, de muerte, vida y amor con un final que creo es feliz y que me hace pensar que quizá siempre habrá un roto para un descosido. Y pues nada, que aquí estoy, a true-love believer, quizá con ganas de ser egoísta quizá por primera vez. De ahí la cita anterior, que a propósito de una charla similar le prometí a Rose desde el otro día. Y también por eso viene bien la siguiente:

Midori pulled away from me with a smile on her face. "O.K., I'll wait! I believe in you," she said. "But when you take me, you take only me. And when you hold me in your arms, you think only about me. Is that clear?"
"I know exactly what you mean."
"I don't care what do you do to me, but I don't want you to hurt me. I've had enough hurt already in my life. More than enough. Now I want to be happy."
Murakami again, chapter ten.

No hay comentarios.: